FRANCE

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Six?!?

So it´s been a few days since I last posted but everything has been pretty chill. Right now I´m sitting in my sister´s room munching on a peruvian candy. The brand of candy is from my city - se llama (it´s called) Ibérica and it´s pretty famous. I´ll have to bring back a bunch for you all to try, it´s quite tastey.
Let´s see....
Six? oh yes... That was how many people we fit in a taxi the other night, not including the driver. Two in the front seat and four in the back. You all my think this wouldn´t be that cramped but you also probably haven´t seen the taxis here, or "ticos" as they are called. They are built small and not very solid but they get really good gas millage, or so I am told. I was a little iffy about this whole experience because it sounded kind of dangerous considering how they drive here but it was actually the most calm and safe drive I have had yet. This was the night of the 26th when my sis, Lucía, took me to my first fiesta and then later on to my first disco (nightclub). The fiesta was ok - it was the birthday of her friend´s friend and so we didn´t really know anyone except the people we came with. It was at the guy´s house and there were snacks, drinks, music and dancing. It was fun to people watch. After that we went to a disco in el centro (which is where a lot of the discotecas are located in la Plaza de Armas, the main square of the city that I really need to take a picture of because it is awesome looking) and went to a disco called Dady O´s which was pretty fun. We just met up with some of her friends, danced a bit, and then headed home cause it was getting pretty late.


Yesterday was pretty eventful. I had my first day at the University. I´m studying Turismo (since they think medicine would be to hard/borring in Spanish) and I go to class from 12 to 4:30. Classes at the U are either in the morning, afternoon or night. Afternoons are nice cause then I can sleep in and when I get home I still have time to do something before bed. My classes yesterday were Comunicación Oral, Inglés II B and Arqueologia Peruana. The two classes in Spanish we pretty fun, I understood the main idea about what the teacher was talking about but there is still so much to learn. Comunicación however was a bit of a joke though when my teacher handed me a quiz, I did attempt to answer two questions however :) Now don´t laugh that I am talking English, it actually helps with my Spanish believe it or not - the teacher had us translate some stuff from English to Spanish. What else... I got to meet some kids which was cool, yay for trying to make friends in a different language....

Today was a blast. It is Santa Rosa day, a peruvian holiday and so that means there is no work and no school, whoo! I met up with some exchangers this morning at 9:30 at La Saga, which is like a movie theater/mall type of place. We then, once again, crammed six into a taxi and then headed out to see our first bull fight. Our group included me, James from the east coast, Kevin-my friend from my district in Canada, Steph and Christian from Australia and then Annika from Holland-all very cool people and even though I only met met them today they already feel like family. So after an eventful taxi ride we arrive at a pretty deserted looking colisium. The aussies who have been here for seven months and thus no a great deal more Spanish, hop out to see what what´s wrong and it turns out the bull fight doesn´t start until one...whoops. So they we all crammed back in the same taxi and headed to el centro and had cake upstairs on a bunch of couches at a café instead. Very fun and Christian treated because he felt bad about getting the wrong time - how nice. I have to say that I am starting to know my way around the city a lot better. After the cafe, five of us took off walking back to Steph´s house where we got some water and then we walked to my house where the rest except for Kevin caught a taxi home. Kevin stayed for lunch and got to meet all the family and then headed home - I think we are all meeting up again later with more exchangers for pizza and a movie at the Annika´s house. All for now. Miss you all and hope you are having a wonderful Wednesday! Chau chau!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Hmmm.....six, that's not crammed. Que malo que se perdieron la la pelea de toros, son divertidas. Entoces estas tomando una clase de Ingles? Mis familiares en Mexico se reian de cuando estaba tomando la clase de Native Spanish, pero en mi caso si tenian razon, esa clase no me ayudo en nada.

Bueno, pues parece que te estas convirtiendo en toda una muchacha Peruana, ya vas a la disco, pasando el tiempo en un cafe.

Bueno, sigue divirtiendote, y cuidate.

PS no nos extrañes mucho

6:37 PM

 
Blogger Drew Triplett said...

Hey! I made it! Hope you're doing well!

9:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home