FRANCE

Saturday, August 19, 2006

I knew it..

I knew somewhere, at some time, I was going to say something wrong and it was going to be embarrassing. To aviod this problem I decided to stick to using the Spanish that I was taught in class until I felt more comfortable speaking but apparently this didn´t work. Everyone asks me how I like it here, my family, the people I´ve met, Rotarians and I always reply "mi familia es muy simpática, la gente es simpática, los rotarios son muy simpáticos". Then yesterday, while we were in a taxi, my sister tells me that "simpático" in Peru means good looking, not kind/nice like I was taught. Yay... jaja not. I felt a little stupid and I bet some people thought I was a bit weird but oh well, now I know.
The last two days, hmm.
Well yesterday I went to lunch at a restaurant with Luka and all the people that study sistemas from her university. The food was great and there was a live band that kept giving shout outs to out group which was huge. They started playing salsa and so everyone go up and started dancing, it was a lot of fun to watch but then Luka made me go with her. Jaja I had no idea what I was doing and felt a little retarded. A few people tried to help me with the footwork a little bit but other than that I pretty much winged it. It actually is a lot easier than I thought because the guy does all the turning and stuff and the girl just follows along. Lunch was a lot of fun and lasted until past dark. They said that whenever there is food, Arequipeña (their local bear that they are very proud of and drink a ton of), and music, then there is always lots of dancing. Muy divertido - very fun.

The day before yesterday someone in a car tried to break into our house. They thought it would be smart to run their little car into our door/garage type thing but it didn´t quite work, out garage door is very sturdy. The door opens out, not in, so it just jammed it. It was weird though because they live in a pretty safe neighborhood with a guy on watch all the time but he was absent at the exact time that there was no one in our house which hardly ever happens and was probably no more that a 15 minute span.
On a happier note, Luka (Lucía) took me to the Monasterio de Santa Catalina which was really cool with two of her friends. We had a tour in Spanish that took us all over this old monestary that used to be hidden from the world. The ladies that lived there lived in silence six days a week and could only see there family two or three times a year through a screen with a mother that supervised the conversations, they could not hug their family or anything. It was pretty crazy to find out that there are still 24 women still living there today. I though it would be pretty small but becaues they lived in isolation it was basically like a small city with casitas (little houses), roads, plazas, etc. Very big. I took some pictures that I will have to post sometime soon that are pretty cool.
Miss you all a ton, love you! Time to go get ready for the day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I think saying something embarrasing must be an unwriten part of the rotary experience. Well, it's okay, at least you didn't offend them, and they all got a compliment, hehehe.

Well, gottta go, but take care, chao.

4:53 PM

 
Blogger Drew Triplett said...

Dude, I can't believe you're there right now. I still have a little over a week! Hopefully you can find a new workout partner that can hang with you because I sure couldn't. But yeah, I think I would like Peru, too. And I wanna see some sweet pictures! I'm starting to get excited.

12:59 AM

 
Blogger Colleen said...

Courtney!!! I have been trapped in a flood for the last 2 weeks so I'm way behind on your adventures but it sounds like you're having a great time. I'm so glad you finally got there! Maybe they thought that in the US people are really ugly and you were excited to suddenly be surrounded by beautiful people...

12:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the house you are in is not safe thus you have to come home, and i rather be described as being hott then being nice anyway lol

8:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home