Whew...finally!
Apologies once again...it has been forever since I last posted but I am determined to keep this thing going. A lot has happened since my last blog and so it is going to take several posts to fill you all in.
First off I want to say thank you to my grandma and to Staud cause yesterday as I arrived home late from school my mom said "Ah, Cournay (jaja Courtney) tienes cartas." And for all you non Spanish speakers (the majority) she told me that I had received some letters. It was so nice to get some mail, so thanks again Gram and Staud-love you both lots! Haha that can be a hint to everyone else too-if you are ever bored or have some free time feel free to write :) I enjoy getting mail very much. My address just in case:
Courtney Kelleher
La familia de Benavente
Lazo Urb. Universitaria F-6
Arequipa, Arequipa Perú
Let´s see-this week has been good so far. Monday I went over to Steph´s (Australia) with some other friends and we chatted and then made this one German dessert which is basically deep fried battered apples with cinnamon and sugar. They are called Apfelküchle and besides knowing that they were clogging my arteries, were quite tasty. I also snagged her recipe for Queso Helado which is a type of ice cream typical of Arequipa. For those of you who know queso means cheese, no the ice cream does not taste like cheese or have cheese in it-it´s sweet and kind of coconutty. Promise I´ll be making lots of it when I get back, it´s really easy. Yesterday was good too. Went and spent some time after my classes in a coffee shop owned by the family of one of my favorite girls here (Anika from Holland) and we chatted for a bit. Both of us are worried we´re not learning Spanish fast enough and so we decided we are only going to talk to each other in Spanish-it´s quite fun and I´m sure fun for other people to listen to "Don´t tell me, I swear I know the word". After that, I went to the mass for my abuelito (grandpa-they have masses for the deceased on their bdays) with my mom at a gorgeous church with beautiful paintings on the ceiling, etc. and then went home and prepared for my presentation that I made tonight for all the Rotarians. Tonight my presentation went pretty well, talked about home, my family, friends, good ol´Yakivegas, life in WA and the US, showed some pics and maps. Jaja the only thing was (sorry Kim) but I was explaining that my sister was coming down to backpack around SA and that she would be coming to Arequipa too and I used the word "mochilando" which means backpacking but here I guess, like I´ve learned with a lot of words, it has a bit of a different meaning. It still means traveling but it´s more of begging your way for rides, really scummy and so everyone was like "what?" but hey, it wasn´t that horrible and now I know (thanks to my mom for telling me...after). So now I´m really happy to be over and done with that but now I get to start on college applications...yay....not. They shouldn´t be to bad though.
Qué más? Well the week before last I went on my first trip. It was a blast-I absolutely love traveling and I am determined to see as much of Peru/SA as I can. I´ll write about the trip later and post pictures (I have a ton) but it´s getting late and I need to get up early and go work out tomorrow. I do have a fe
This first pic is Chupe de Camarones. Camarones are shrimp and Chupe is soup. The shrimp here come from the river, not the ocean and they are huge...like mini lobsters and the soup is delicious...really hard to eat though cause they shrimp come whole. It´s entertaining, time consuming and it´s pretty messy. It´s a definite must try if you are ever in Perú. T

2 Comments:
wow, crazy! you better order the guinea pig sometime. thats crazy haha. it looks delicious. i am very envious of your culinary options, however. I am pretty sure czech has the worst food in the world. By the way, I am in rome right now. its pretty awesome. just flew in from Athens, too. Hope things are going well other than your food situation. write me an email sometime! ok, gotta go. minutes are almost up. talk to you later!
9:24 AM
Aunque me alegra escuchar de tus aventuras, esta vez i'm jealous, because you're eating all that yummy food. Acabo the empezar una dieta, y mis opciones de comida son limitadas. Bueno, sigue comiendo y narrando tus aventuras.
take care.
P.S. I love the pics
10:30 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home